Georgia High School Water Polo Association
Welcome to GAPolo.com - your official source for news and information regarding the Georgia High School Water Polo
Association (GHSWPA). Please use hashtag #GAPolo on social media.
- 6/7/17: Reminder: American Water Polo is accepting nominations for the
2016-17 American Water Polo Scholar Athlete Award. They are honoring any AWP athlete who qualifies under these set
- Student-athlete must have at least a 3.20 cumulative grade point average (on a 4.0 scale) or
comparable on another grading scale
- Athletes must have played in an AWP event, league (like the GHSWPA) or tournament
- Athlete must present his or her report card or transcripts in one of following ways:
- Email: email@example.com (PDF, screen capture image, direct link)
- Fax: 610-277-7382
- Mail: 129 West 4th Street, Bridgeport, PA 19405
Each year, GHSWPA teams are encouraged to submit their eligible student-athletes for recognition. The
deadline to submit nominations for this year's award is June 30th, 2017.
- 5/22/17: Reminder: water polo camp at Pace this coming June for rising 4th through 8th graders. Learn the basic
skills needed to play splash ball and water polo. Each session, players will work on swimming and ball handling skills,
as well as positions and basic formations.
Campers should have advanced swimming skills and the ability to work for long periods of time without touching the bottom of the
- Program: Training and Learning the Basic Skills for Water Polo -- Have fun developing skills, participating in drills and playing games
- Eligibility: Water Polo Camp for rising grades 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8
- Dates: June 5th, 6th and 7th
- Times: 9:00a - 12:00n, each day
- Cost: $250.00 per camper, includes a ball and t-shirt
John Ague (Pace Water Polo Head Coach) and PaceAcademy.org
To learn more, please visit the
Pace Summer Camps website. To register, visit the
Pace Camp Registration website, create a new account if needed, and register for the Water Polo Camp. Please
contact Pace Academy
if you have any questions.
- 5/19/17: Dynamo Swim Club head coach and CEO, Jason Turcotte, passed away very unexpectedly two
weeks ago. He leaves a wife and three young children. Jason was 47.
From his first days at the Dynamo helm, Jason supported water polo and wanted Dynamo to remain a key part
of water polo in the state of Georgia. Please consider a donation to
memorial fund in his name. The DSC family wants to get the amount to $200,000+ to provide a solid financial
foundation for the kids:
-- Love and
Support for the Turcottes
From Mike Scott, GHSWPA President, on behalf of the GHSWPA, "The GHSWPA and every exciting moment we have shared with our student-athletes
over the last 11 years have been supported by the Dynamo Swim Club, and now is a time to give back. Please consider the
enormous benefits we have enjoyed in the past and will continue to enjoy because of Jason’s and Dynamo’s support.
Please consider making a contribution to
the Jason Turcotte Family Fund. Your GHSWPA Board thanks you for your thoughtfulness and generous assistance."
Thank you in advance on behalf of his wife Heidi and their children Jack, Olivia, and Kaela, not to mention Jason.
- 5/17/17: The 2017 GHSWPA League Schedule has been posted online. Competitions get underway
during the week of August 7th and conclude with the annual All-Star Games on October 15th.
Highlights of the timeline include the 2017 GHSWPA Division 3, Girls and State Championship Tournaments, occuring on September 30th,
October 1st and 7th/8th respectively. The State Championship will once again be played at the Cumming Aquatic Center.
All known meetings, trainings, clinics and weather make-up slots are included in the posted schedule.
A new instant-search feature by team name has been added to the website's schedule page for easier access to a specific
team's schedule and results.
Team reps, coaches, parents, players, referees and adminstrators are encouraged to review the
schedule and begin planning ahead. If you have questions, please contact our Scheduling
A special 'thank you' to our aquatic facility and sponsorship partners for their help in making the 2017 schedule
come to life! Good luck to all GHSWPA teams and athletes during the upcoming 2017
- 5/1/17: Reminder: Free Coaches Clinic, Saturday, May 6th
at Pace Academy! The event will be hosted by American Water Polo's Damon Newman from 9a - 12n (morning session) and 1p -
4p (afternoon session), with lunch included! And, it is ok if coaches can only attend the morning or afternoon session.
We will be in The Garcia Family Middle School, Knights Hall (5th floor). Go down the hall to the right of the school (when
facing the school) and park behind the building. Enter through the natatorium entrance and take elevator to the 5th floor.
We will have signs up to direct everyone here as well.
The Clinic will provide a free,
professional development opportunity for Georgia's coaches. Topics to be discussed include 1) Season
Plan and Implementation, 2) Defensive skills / tactics and 5-on-6, 3) Offensive skills / tactics and 6-on-5, and
4) Admin / recruiting / parents / booster clubs / officials.
Whether you are experienced or new to coaching water polo, there will be something for everyone. We hope each
GHSWPA club will encourage all of its coaches to attend this free event!
- 4/27/17: Reminder: The GHSWPA Board has approved a referee development program pulling from the league's current and
alumni players. The basics of this new feeder program is modeled after Florida's program:
- High school students who are at least 16 years of age may join the referee corps as a
"student official" and be assigned to a mentor official for training and partnering for games
- Student officials will be allowed to work middle school, Division III, and select Girls’ and
Division II contests
- Student officials may not officiate games involving their school’s teams
Please distribute the Referee Recruiting Flyer
to anyone you think may be interested in becoming a referee. Depending on the response, we intend to have training clinic(s) during
the spring. If you have any questions, please contact the GHSWPA Head Referee.
- 4/24/17: The popular Kap7 Clinic, organized by the Dynamo Water Polo Club, is returning in 2017!
Registration is now open
and Dynamo expects the clinic to sell out again.
The Clinic features the top collegiate, club, and international coaches and is structured to expose athletes to new
techniques that can be put to use right away. All of the skills necessary to reach the next level will be addressed,
from 6v5, to 5v6, to transition to counter, and more. Don't miss this excellent chance to dramatically improve
your level of play in one weekend!
The clinic will occur on August 5th and 6th, and will take place at the Cumming Aquatic Center beginning Saturday morning
and concluding Sunday afternoon. The cost per athlete is $295. Sign up early, as space is limited. The 2014, 2015 and
2016 clinics sold out, and Dynamo expects the 2017 clinic to be sold out by June-end.
Please refer to
the clinic website for additional information and to register.
Have news to share? Submit it now...